Tuesday, October 30, 2007

COFFEE AND MUSIC (is there anything better?)



Okay, I admit it...I'm a coffee addict. As I sit here typing this blog entry at 11:45 p.m. this Tuesday evening, having drank almost all of a 10 cup pot o' coffee, I reflect on current happenings in my life. (For you English types, feel free to correct my grammar usage...sad, I always tell people that if I wasn't a music major, I'd be an English major).

So last night I auditioned for our Spring opera, Pirates of Penzance. I auditioned with Frederick's aria, "Oh, Is There Not One Maiden Breast," but was asked to read for the part of the Major General Stanley. After that was all sung and done, I was asked to learn a bit of the song "I am a Very Model of a Modern Major General" for callbacks (which will take place sometime tomorrow). This song requires some degree of difficulty. For instance it is very wordy and its tempo marking is allegro vivace. So I am working this over tonight before bed.

Speaking of opera, next Friday, November 9, at 7:30 p.m., UAB Opera is proudly presenting "Lovers, Liars, and Leading Ladies," the UAB Opera Student Showcase. It will be held in the Mary Culp Hulsey Recital Hall at the UAB Hulsey Center. Admission is FREE and UAB Music students get performance attendance credit for attending. So be sure to come out and support UAB Opera.

This Thursday, the UAB Concert Choir is performing at the Alabama ACDA Collegiate Choral Festival held at Bluff Park UMC in Hoover. It is an all day long event and I look forward to this event each year. It is a great time when most of the college choirs in Alabama get together and sing for each other, not for competition, but just for the sake of music. However, UAT will not be in attendance for the second year in a row. I think they are scared of the ferocious beast that is the UAB Choir. We will be performing "O Sacrum Convivium," "Song of Triumph," and "Regina Coeli." Speaking of those songs, be sure to check out the UAB Choir blog for our recent recordings.

Oh well, It is way past my bedtime, so I shall retire for the evening.

Later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In answer to your title: no.

And UAT hasn't performed for r years in a row.

Unknown said...

oops. r = 4.