Friday, May 30, 2008

My Memaw

I'm so proud of my grandmother. Check out this article from The Birmingham News:

Mt. Olive quilter wins NEA award
Posted by Alec Harvey -- Birmingham News May 28, 2008 9:29 AM

Bettye Kimbrell of Mt. Olive is one of 11 recipients of a $20,000 grant from the National Endowment for the Arts.

The National Heritage Fellowships are the country's highest honor in the folk and traditional arts, according to the NEA.

Bettye Kimbrell

In 1979, Kimbrell organized a quilt show to raise money for the Mt. Olive Community Center, and out of that came the North Jefferson Quilters' Guild.

In 1995, Kimbrell received the Alabama Folk Heritage Award.




Here is a quilt that Memaw created based from a design my Mom created:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read about that earlier today. Congrats to your grandmother!

plc

Anonymous said...

Brian,

I can't think of anyone more deserving than your grandmother! For many years I lived in the Birmingham area and was active on the quilting community.

I always considered Bettye my mentor...SHE epitomizes what quilting and quilters are all about. She was very helpful and supportive when I co-founded the Heart of Dixie Quilters Guild. We also served on the Quilt Alabama board together.

I went through a divorce in 2001 - 2002 (my ex was one of the first male quilters in AL), remarried in 2003 and have had to moved from my beloved AL due to my husband's work. Over time I lost touch Bettye. Next time you see her, please give her my congratulations and best. (I am the former Beverly Hicks Ling, but am now Beverly Hicks Burch.)

Congrats! You have the right to be proud.

Bev