Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Opera di UAB

Well, after much anticipation, I found out tonight what my role in UAB Opera Workshop is this semester. I will be in three different roles at our Opera Scenes "Singer's Showcase" performance on November 9, 2007, 7:00 p.m. at the Hulsey Recital Hall in the Hulsey Center at UAB.

Here is a quick rundown of the various Opera Scenes that will be showcased that night:

Classicism / Neo-classicism

Act III Recitative and Sextet from The Marriage of Figaro
Marcellina: Crystal Whatley
Figaro: Chris Reid
Count: Jonathan Riddle
Bartolo: Howard Hall
Don Curzio: Brian Denton
Susanna: Samantha Pace

Act I Recitative and Duet “La ci darem la mano” from Don Giovanni
Don Giovanni: Jonathan Riddle
Zerlina: Whitney Cummins

Act I Finale from Cosí fan tutte
Fiordiligi: Meredith Foster
Dorabella: Katie Smith
Despina: Marybeth Verchot
Ferrando: Kiyoshi Scissum
Guglielmo: Howard Hall
Don Alfonso: Chris Reid

INTERMISSION

Act I, No. 5 Quintet, followed by dialogue from The Magic Flute
Papageno: Jonathan Riddle
Tamino: Sean Fleischman
1st Lady: Samantha Pace
2nd Lady: Crystal Whatley
3rd Lady: Whitney Cummins

Act III from The Rake’s Progress
Anne: Marybeth Verchot
The Keeper: Howard Hall
Tom: Kiyoshi Scissum
Father: Chris Reid
Chorus: all (including Keeper), offstage

Trio from The Impresario
Madame Goldentrill: Meredith Foster
Mademoiselle Silverpeal: Samantha Pace
The Impresario: Brian Denton

I can't wait to do these. I do, however, need to research them so I can learn more about the various Opera scenes and the characters I'm to portray. I'll be sure to keep you posted on my progress.

ALSO, just in case you would like more information on UAB Opera, you can visit the UAB Opera blog at http://uabopera.blogspot.com. This is where our director, Dr. Kristine Hurst-Wajszczuk (pronounced Vice-check) writes about upcoming Opera events as well as her Voice Studio classes. ALSO be sure to check out UAB's Choir blog by Dr. Philip Copeland at http://uabchoirs.blogspot.com for more information about performances and interesting nuances about the UAB Choir of which I'm so fond of.

Well, I've got to be up for work at FIVE O'CLOCK in the morning at Starbucks in Vestavia, so I'm about to go to bed.

Goodnight all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to come watch you sing opera! :)

Is there a way that we can add you as a friend on this thing...? Or what?