Saturday, September 20, 2008

Current Happenings

Preface:
I need to apologize to those of you who actually follow this blog. I'm a horrible blog sinner and I haven't updated in forever like all good little boy bloggers and girl bloggers should. For this, I apologize.

Getting You Up to Speed:
Family - I just got back from Washington D.C. where I went with my family to celebrate with my grandmother, Bettye Kimbrell, receiving the National Heritage Fellowship from the National Endowment of the Arts. We are so very proud of her and what all she has accomplished with her quilting. D.C. was marvelous. I loved all the history that was there. We toured the Capitol Building and got to sit in the gallery in the House of Representatives, courtesy of Representative Spencer Bacchus. We also went to the National Archives and saw the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution, and The Bill of Rights. This was a favorite moment of mine. We also toured the major monuments. I loved the Lincoln Memorial. It was awesome. We went to Arlington National Cemetary and walked around there. We saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers as well as The Eternal Flame at JFK's tomb. This was a very somber event. I really enjoyed spending time with my family in Washintgon.

School - Wow, I am super busy with classes this semester. Music History, Conducting I, and Theory III are seriously testing me. These three classes are not easy and require much study time. I also am in three performing ensembles which require much rehearsal. UAB Concert Choir - we are getting our repertoire ready for our trip to Cincinatti to participate in the NCO Convention. UAB Chamber Singers - are preparing for Video Games Live!, an event we will sing at with the Alabama Symphony Orchestra. UAB Opera - This semester, I was chosen to be the Assistant to the Director for our production of Menotti's Amahl and the Night Visitors. I am also in the chorus for this opera and I have auditions for our spring production of Mozart's The Magic Flute that are coming up in a week or so.

Life - Things are going alright overall right now. Two weeks ago, I joined the Birmingham Concert Chorale, the official chorus of the Alabama Symphony Orchestra. I rehearse with them on Monday nights and will perform with them on Handel's Messiah and Orff's Carmina Burana with the ASO. I am also being saught after for being hired as a paid musician for some local churches to sing in their church choir. Although the extra income would be nice, I have not agreed to any present offers just yet because I really do not want to leave Mountaintop. I love my church and I just cannot see myself not serving there right now. Btw... the new website for Mountaintop Community Church is awesome! Check it out at http://www.mountaintopchurch.com if you get a chance.

Well sports fans, I guess I'll wrap this blog entry up. Comments are always welcome and appreciated.

Later!

B

1 comment:

Jess said...

Wow!! Sounds like you have a ton going on!! I'm so proud of you. :) Tell the fam I said hi and that I love them all!!

MISS YOU ALL!!

Jess